Predictions to test
Do relocations map onto where scat is found too?
Is there scat fidelity from day to day?
Does telemetry relocation or conversely scat presence within a likelihood MCP (polygon estimating 95% percent change animals present within area) correlate with one another?
ie – imagine a telemetry polygon and a scat one too – never been done!! and then we statistically overlay them.
How to test
1. do relocations this saturday (day #1), enter into usual relocation datasheet attached. Do morning and afternoon.
Enter data that evening and do a baton handoff to the scat team.
2. On sunday (day #2), scat people ‘check’ all locations where there was certainly a lizard. In each day 1 relocation, is there scat the next day!! So, imagine day 1 there were 100 spots where lizards where spotted. On day 2, what proportion of these have scat deposited.
3. On sunday (day #2), team telemetry repeats process and finds another 100 spots or whatever they can where they see lizards. Same process – enter and hand off to team scat.
4. On Monday (day 3#), same process – team scat check day 2 telemetry relocations for scat – so we are holding as best we can scat scent cones etc to 1-day old and team telemetry repeats and finds new spots for next sampling.
5. On tuesday (day #4), team scat checks team telemetry relocations from the day before (day #3).
A total of 4 days sampling with 3 statistical days to test for scat detections with a 1-day lag where lizards were spotted. SO POWERFUL.
NOW — -as you can imagine – there are also a few bonus opportunities here…. 🙂
A. If dogs have time, check back more than 1-day lag – ie on day #4, dogs can check ALL previous days days 3,2,1 – this gets the second main prediction – ie site fidelity. BE amazing to know this.
B. If team telemetry has the people and the receivers, it can also go the other way – team telemetry looks for lizards where there was scat detected – anywhere – the following day – so we pass the baton back and forth.
C. Team scat if they have time daily, checks other sites to fill in the region more – ie the polygon idea – to see how well regional NOT just point sampling works.