Mojave progress

 

Field work is finally coming along in the Mojave! Shrubs and annuals co-flowered along Kelbaker road, but unfortunately a hot spell of 98 degree days meant the annuals only lasted 4-5 days before seeding. We did manage to gather data for both my survey and manipulation over those days though! Not all pollinators out yet though, so hopefully we catch some pollination on the videos. Below is a picture of the set-up of a shrub plot with annuals intact, showing the iPods set up to record pollinators. Following video recording, in-situ observations were performed and pollen (and later seed) collected.
Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 3.06.42 PM

 

Because of the very short annual flowering window in areas where shrubs were flowering, we decided to transplant desert dandelions from a wet area at higher altitude, in pots, to the Kalbaker site where Larrea is in full bloom.

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 4.53.20 PM Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 4.53.29 PM Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 4.53.37 PM

Set-up below…. We’re recording pollinator activity (video and in-situ) as well as proxy measurements for pollination/reproduction such as pollen load and seed set. The photometer experiment with greenhouse plants will take a similar form.

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 3.05.59 PM

 

Hobo set-up for open sites. We strung between shrubs so that pendants were hanging about two inches above the ground, same height as those under shrubs.

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 3.05.46 PM