We had a more ambitious set of goals this season.
- Habitat use frequency estimates. Tools: a. telemetry of blunt-nosed leopard lizard with a total at least 1200 relocations split between AM/PM with an estimate of shrub-open and behavior. b. cam traps at shrub-open on still mode.
- Behavior estimates. Tools: a. cam traps on video mode at a total of 100 hours recording time. b. direct observation (with recording too) by humans of lizards and grasshoppers at a total of 100hrs.
- Shrub-plant-animal interaction estimates. Tools: exclosures at two sites to exclude different taxa in shrub-open mesohabitats. a. cages. b. cams c. vacuums. d. sweeps.
- Temperature profile estimates. Tools: a. pulse of collars on lizards b. loggers at microhabitat scales.
- Census grasshoppers. Tools: stick, sweep, and vacuum. Also do direct observation to assess whether they are significant consumers.
1a. Mario and Steph. Goals 1,2,3,5.
1b. Malory and Nargol. Goals 1,2,5.
2. Emily and Kat. Goals 1 & 4.
Deploy one set of cam traps on still mode at a total no-shrub zone.
Get a solid handle on behavior by verts and inverts in the context of paired interactions with plants (at micro-scale) and shrubs at mesoscale.
Need an assay of insect diversity.