Ok, our competition trials never look that good.
- Aboveground harvest: clip from soil surface.
- Belowground harvest: need to harvest entire plant at once by removing plants and roots from pot experiments (for instance) and gently washing to remove all soil but keeping roots and shoots intact. Then, snip aboveground growth from below.
- Depending on level of replication and lowest possible independent sample unit, harvest one individual, one species, or all individuals of one species per pot into independent paper bags.
- Place in ovens at 68F for at least 2 days.
- Leave all plants in paper bags in oven until the moment you are ready to weigh.
- Remove from paper bags to weigh for small plants. Typically, I weigh to 3-4 decimal grams for small desert annual plants.
- Return plants to bag, do not return to oven, store in a paper box for a few weeks or until all data entered and checked.