With the upcoming field season approaching (quickly!) we are looking for a few students to help with field work in California, as well as with processing data in the lab.
We have multiple positions available at this time:
- Ecology Field Technician – Santa Barbara County
- Included: Stipend (to be discussed), flight/travel within California
- Description: independent field work doing plant surveys (dominant desert shrubs and their associated annual plants) and monitoring abiotic conditions (setting up and checking on environmental loggers) at multiple sites within Santa Barbara County, California
- Accommodation: primarily camping
- Requirements: Field experience, drivers license, and ability to work independently
- Dates: End of Jan-Feb, March, May (likely two weeks at a time)
2. Ecology Field Technician – Mojave Desert
- Included: Flight, transportation within California, accommodation, food (volunteer position)
- Description: We are looking for a enthusiatic and passionate person to assist on a Masters student research project based out of the Mojave Desert, California. The project focusses on plant facilitation in stressed environments and involves research on a dominant desert shrub ( Larrea tridentata) and its surrounding annual plant community. Specifically, we are looking at how interactions between these plants and how these interactions scale-up to other trophic levels (mainly on pollinators). Most of the work will include assisting in conducting surveys on both shrubs and annual plants, setting up video equipent, setting up pollinator exclosures and adding/removing plants, collecting pollen and seed samples, and in-situ observaton of pollinators.
- Accommodation: Sweeney Granite Mountains Desert Research Centre http://granite.ucnrs.net/?page_id=75
- Requirements: Candidates must be reasonably fit and comfortable with frequent hiking and working in the sun and heat. Ecological background, basic insect identification and field work experience a plus.
- Dates: mid-March to mid-May 2016, exact dates to be determined.
3. Lab technician – York University
- Included: n/a (in-lab volunteer position)
- Description: Assisting graduate students within the lab by processing field data including pollinator videos, animal camera pictures, and pollen samples.
- Accommodation: n/a
- Requirements: Ecological background an asset
- Dates: to start immediately